Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Moral Issues within design

As an interior design student, I have learned a lot about the profession and have found it to challenge me in different ways. For the past few years that I have been studying interior design, I have never thought of some of the moral issues that come into play when approaching/or approached with a project. What if I am offered "X" amount of dollars to design a space that I do not feel comfortable designing? What if I am asked to step out of my box and do something entirely different than what I am known for or used to doing? I realize that I might be faced with these type of issues and more. I believe it is my responsibility as a professional to maybe overlook some of my personal beliefs so I can carry on professionally with a project, within reason. I also think that it is a good idea to have a grasp on universal design qualities so that I can perform to the best of my ability in situations where I may have to think creatively outside of the box. I think this subject has challenged me the most thus far and once I experience it in the real world, I will have to face my greatest challenge within the interior design profession. I believe that those of us who have been made aware of the moral challenges we may face, will in result be more prepared to deal with them. I do not know if I will accept every morally challenging issue, but I at least know that I will be ready to face those decisions when they are presented to me. What would you do if you were asked to design a space in a place that you do not want to be in? What would you do if you were asked to design differently than you ever have?

No comments:

Post a Comment